Trucking Accident Attorney
Injured in a Truck Accident in Massachusetts? We Will Help You Secure Financial Compensation
Large commercial trucking companies have a legal responsibility to operate their fleet in a safe manner. Collisions between commercial trucks and cars, motorcycles, and other modes of transportation often produce deaths and very serious injuries due to the sheer size and weight difference between the vehicles. Truck accident cases are different than most other vehicle accident cases because commercial truck companies, their drivers, and trucks are heavily regulated by federal law. Often commercial trucking companies do not follow the requirements of the law, which leads to dangerous driving and accidents.
Truck accidents remain a serious public safety hazard in our region. As an experienced Massachusetts truck accident lawyer, I am committed to providing the highest level of legal representation to injured victims and their families. You need money to pay your bills after a truck accident. For a free, fully confidential initial consultation, please contact my Boston law office today.
What to Do After a Truck Accident in Massachusetts
The immediate aftermath of a commercial truck accident can be complicated and confusing. Sadly, some people make mistakes that could inadvertently undermine their ability to recover full and fair financial compensation. You need to know how to protect your rights and your interests after a truck accident in Massachusetts. Here are five steps to take to ensure that you are in the best position to navigate the legal claims process:
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: All truck accident injuries require immediate medical attention. Get yourself to a qualified doctor as soon as possible after a truck accident.
- Report the Accident: In Massachusetts, all truck accidents that result in injuries should be reported to law enforcement. Make sure your collision is reported to the police.
- Document the Crash: The more evidence that you have, the better position you will be in to get justice and compensation. Take pictures of the truck accident, secure contact information for witnesses, and gather all other evidence and information.
- Avoid Giving a Statement to Insurers: You may be contacted by the trucking company’s insurance provider relatively shortly after a crash. It is not in your best interests to give a recorded statement to the insurance adjuster.
- Call a Massachusetts Truck Accident Lawyer: The best thing that you can do to protect your rights after a serious truck accident is to contact an attorney. A Massachusetts truck accident attorney will handle all correspondence with insurers and protect your rights.
An Overview of Truck Accident Laws in Massachusetts
Large commercial trucking operations are subject to federal and state regulations. In general, truck accident claims in Massachusetts are subject to Commonwealth law. Here are three key things to know about truck accident laws in Massachusetts:
- A Three Year Statute of Limitations: In Massachusetts, truck accident claims are governed by a three year statute of limitations. You must file any personal injury lawsuit within three years of the crash—otherwise you will likely lose out on your right to get compensation.
- A Modified No-Fault Jurisdiction: Massachusetts is a so-called “modified no-fault” jurisdiction for motor vehicle accidents, including truck accidents. Minor collisions are generally no-fault cases—meaning your claim is against your own Personal Injury Protection (PIP) policy. However, you can step outside the no fault system and file a claim directly against the at-fault trucking company if you incurred more than $2,000 in reasonable medical expenses.
- A Comparative Fault State for Truck Accidents: In Massachusetts, liability for a truck accident is based on comparative fault. Each party to a serious collision can be held liable for their share of the “blame” for the accident. If you are deemed partially at fault for your own truck accident, your compensation can be reduced. If you are deemed to be more than 50% at fault for the accident, you generally cannot recover under a negligence theory. Protect yourself by working with an experienced Massachusetts truck accident lawyer.
Truck Accident Victims Deserve Full and Fair Financial Compensation
In Massachusetts, truck accident victims have the right to seek compensation for both economic and non-economic damages. Unfortunately, big truck companies and their insurance carriers can make the personal injury claims process challenging. As a top-rated Massachusetts truck accident lawyer, I have professional skills and legal experience needed to help to maximize your compensation. If you were hurt in a serious truck accident, you may be eligible to recover money damages for:
- Motor vehicle repairs or replacement;
- Ambulance costs and emergency medical treatment;
- Hospital bills and other medical bills;
- Physical therapy and rehabilitative care;
- Lost wages;
- Future earnings impairment;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Loss of lifestyle enjoyment; and
- Wrongful death of a close family member.
Call Our Massachusetts Truck Accident Attorney for Immediate Help
At Michaud Law LLC, we work tirelessly to protect the legal rights and financial interests of truck accident victims. If you or your loved one was injured in a tractor trailer collision, I am ready to help you get justice and financial compensation. Call us today for a free, no obligation review of your personal injury case. With an office in Boston, we handle truck accident claims throughout Massachusetts.